As a natural raw material to a range of furan-based chemicals and solvents, furfural and its derivatives have been extensively used in a range of industries. The direct conversion into furfuryl alcohol, methylfuran and furan via metal-catalyzed hydrogenation, reduction and decarbonylation positions furfural as a strategic and ultimate industrial source for the production of a wide range of derivatives.
Furfural in practice
Furfural has an aromatic odour reminiscent of almonds. This biomass-based chemical is a hetero-aromatic aldehyde with exceptional physical properties. Applications include:
- selective solvent in refining lubricating oils to produce high-quality motor oil with improved temperature-viscosity properties
- decolourizing agent to refine crude wood rosin
- purification of C4 and C5 hydrocarbons for manufacturing synthetic rubber
- reactive solvent and excellent wetting agent in manufacturing abrasive wheels, brake linings and refractory products for the steel industry
- chemical feedstock for furfuryl alcohol and other derivatives
I'm excited about building new business based on derivative technologies from a single chemical platform.
Director Finance & Controlanil.firstname.lastname@example.org